Luxurious home upgrades are usually accompanied by construction crews, headaches, and insane expenses.
Because most of us can’t leave for a few months while people gut the place or drop thousands of dollars in the process, opulent upgrades typically never make it past Pinterest. Since home blogging is now a pretty big deal, however, plenty of options have opened up for those of us who don’t have wads of money to throw at contractors!
Here are 20 high-impact home upgrades that aren’t crazy difficult (and won’t break the bank).
1. Attics are usually dark and cramped, but covering yours from floor to ceiling in light colors can create the illusion of space. Throw comfy floor cushions around and make yourself a little oasis!
2. Why waste all that space under the stairs? Install a bookshelf that’s functional and has visual appeal.
3. Get rid of all the crap you don’t need in your backyard shed, add some windows, and create an outdoor getaway.
4. Install a hidden mini fridge in your kitchen island for storing important things like white wine and beer.
5. Trade in your bed linens and opt for all white for a super-chic vibe.
6. Create the least clunky kitchen storage of all time by building baseboard drawers.
7. Create a secret room by trading in your door for a hinged bookshelf.
8. Install accordion windows to bridge the gap between outside and in.
9. Make that spare room useful all the time by building a platform and using it for hidden storage.
10. Extend deck railings and get some barstools to create an outdoor bar for entertaining.
11. Upgrade that dingy linoleum floor with a quick paint job!
12. Carpet installation can cost an arm and a leg, so add some flair to your staircase with a DIY runner.
13. Make rooms look more spacious by attaching inexpensive framed mirrors to closet doors and painting them to match.
14. Add an unexpected pop to your living room by framing your TV.
15. Use tiered cake plates to store things like spices and toiletries.
16. If you don’t feel like spending a fortune on new drawer pulls, upgrade the ones you have with metallic paint.
17. Use PVC pipes and curtains to create a cozy canopy bed.
18. Hang drapes on curved shower curtain rods to get the look of bay windows.
19. Add interest to your bathroom by mixing tiles. You could use small subway tiles for your backsplash and larger ones on the tub!
20. Unexpected pops of color are always a hit, so have some fun and paint the inside of your closet.
The best part is that most of these projects can be done in one afternoon! Which ones will you try? That canopy bed is calling my name. Just remember that at the end of the day, making your friends jealous is all that matters.